Twas the night before Christmas…

Hi all – and a belated Merry Christmas! Hope yours was as woof-tacular as mine! We had a super duper day at grandma and grandpa’s house with all the family who came from miles around. I wasn’t sure what to expect but boy did we have fun! It all started on Christmas eve when lots of big colourful boxes were put under the tree – and some of them sure smelled good! We weren’t allowed near them of course – Dougal was not a happy camper people I can tell you!

Anyway next came all sorts of foods I’d never seen before – grandma cooked a big naked bird she called a turkle or something (Dougal – It’s a turkey stupid! Bella – Shut up Dougal TURKEY is a country – I know ’cause mum and dad have been there and YOU chewed up the rug they brought back! So there!) – anyway whatever it was at first I thought it was a dud people, no feathers at all! But after it was finished in the oven mum put our kibble into the big foil tray the turkle birdie thingy had been cooked in, and mixed the kibble in the cooking  juices, and it was super DELICIOSO!!!

After this mum said we had to go to bed early or santa wouldn’t come, but first we had to put out our stockings as well as cake and beer for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. As grandma and grandpa don’t have a chimney and it was bucketing down with rain I was pretty skeptical about the fat man appearing. (Prospects for “Rain – deer” however were slightly better !) Anyway I couldn’t help wondering and after everyone went to bed I got up and kept a watch on the skies – I was keen to chase those damn deer if they did turn up! Unfortunately dad found out I’d snuck out of bed and I had to tell him I was just checking for geckos which I do all the time at home.

After eating the carrots (dad drank the beer!) I was sent back to bed and before long we woke up and it was our very first Christmas day! Yippee! And guess what people…our stockings were full! (Lucky we left that cake out!).

We were so excited we opened our santa bags straight away! I got a new bee (making it bee number 3 – after dastardly D sheared the wings off my last one and ripped out the squeaker!), a stuffed platypus soft toy full of squeakers (yippee!) and a big bag of dried veal tendons.  D got a ball with a fluffy tail attached, a giant caterpillar soft toy and and some tasty beef strips. From mum and dad we got a cool ball on a stretchy rope thingy that will hang in the yard at home for us to play while they’re at work.

After toys it was time for lunch. We were having a cold lunch as it’s summer in Australia. Luckily it was cooler than normal due to all the rain. We had all sorts of exciting food including Bangalow sweet pork ham, the turkle thingy, roast pork, prawns (shrimps) and mud crabs! Here’s dad below with the vicious nasty evil crab beasts! (I have since had a nightmare one was loose in my shell pool!! YIKES!). For the record people prawns are the only food I have ever refused to eat.

Grandma, mum, Aunty S and Aunty M made all the delicious salads and we ate outside on the verandha. Mum said it was very relaxing whatever that means (they were all drinking that sparkly drink that goes “pop” again, along with some fruity drink in a big bowl called “punch” which may have had something to do with it!). When I say “we” ate, really D, me and Gizmo just watched ’cause we had a separate dinner of white meat from the turkle thingy, chicken and a little taste of ham afterwards.

Before long it was time for the desert. Oops! I mean dessert! Mum said it was very Australian ’cause we had a pavlova. This is like a giant meringue with fresh whipped cream and fruit on top and it’s delicious people. Grandma’s trifle was also amazing – it was great-grandma’s recipe! As you can see Dougal was so overwhelmed by the desert dessert he couldn’t help himself and made a play for it. I knew better – the “resting my head gently on mum’s lap and looking up at her with melt the heart eyes” technique is far more persuasive and soon I was rewarded with a little bowl of custard all for myself!! Yippee!!!

After lunch everyone went and had a big nap and before we knew it  the festivities were over. When everyone started to head off I was very distressed – this Christmas business had been great and now it was all over. I went back out to the verandah, retrieved my santa bag and decided to wage a one hound vigil – why couldn’t every day be Christmas with big naked turkle things, kibble in cooking juices, new bees and custard? Why why why!!? After 5 minutes with everyone ignoring me I decided it was all in vain…I’d just have to start counting down to next Christmas…

…only 365 days to go people, only 365 to go…

(Hope yours was fantastic too!)

© Beatrice Bella Fauve and Bella Vizsla, 2010.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: